Tuesday, February 24

Alfajores Recipe


Hello everyone. I had a couple of requests about the Alfajores Recipe, so here it is. If you try it, I would love to see them.
I made 5 cards between yesterday and today and when I was ready to take pictures of them, the battery was dead, so now is recharging, come back later to see my creations!!!
Anyway, here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
3/4 cup of margarine or butter.
1 cup of sugar
4 egg yolks
1 egg white.
2 cups of corn starch
3/4 cup of all purpose flour
1 tsp Baking Powder.
1 tsp vanilla extract
lemon or orange zest. (about 1/2 lemon)
Crema De leche
Shred coconut. (optional)

1.- Mix together margarine and sugar.
2.- Add yolks and egg white, mix until very creamy.
3.- Sift together flour, corn starch and baking powder. Add to the mix. Then add lemon zest and vanilla.
4.- At this point your dough is very VERy soft, so add a bit of flour onto a cloth towel, cover and let it rest in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. I let my dough rest for 30 minutes.
5.- After this time, extend your dough on a flour surface and cut little or big circles, (this is up to you) mine usually are 2". Put them in a greased baking sheet.
6.- Bake 350 F for about 20 minutes or lightly golden.
7.- Once they are cold add Crema de Leche and coconut around (this is optional)

You can buy Crema de Leche already done in any store in the Latin Aisle, if you want to make your own, boil a can of condensed milk for about 2 hours, let it cool completely before you open it up.

A little secret, after my dough has been in the refrigeraton for about half hour, I get just a quarter or third of it and work with it, this dough is very delicate and gets warm and very softvery fast, working with little amounts work the best.

Enjoy it!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you!
    I have printed your recipe, and will make the Alfajores soon...
    Que significa "alfajores" en Ingles por favor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like tremendous amount of work, but I might try it. Spring break is coming up soon and I would have time then.

    Thanks so much for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete